Taped from Dallas, TX
Airdate: April 20, 1985 (taped 04/05)
Hosted by Bill Mercer
Can Kevin defeat Gino while on his World title path? What is the BIG announcement this week? And who will join me for this bacon’n’eggs episode?
Andrew! That’s a great talent! RSG-ites certainly can’t forget about you.
Match 1: One Man Gang (w/ Gary Hart) versus Terry Daniels
- Daniels, perhaps believing he was fighting in Hue City, began his attack by jumping on Gang’s back.
- On the other hand, Gang SQUISHED him in the corner.
- Gang then gave Daniels a cross corner whip followed by a big boot.
- As the match moved to the floor, Gang carried Daniels around the ring and rammed him back-first into the ring post.
- He then made Daniels HIT THE POLE and tossed his almost lifeless carcass back into the ring.
- He then nailed the prone Daniels with a forearm smash followed by an elbow drop.
- Gang won in 5:26.
Summary:Showcase squash match for Gang.
After the match, Hart hands Gang a chain who puts it around his head like a headband. He then headbutts Daniels into the middle of 1987. How does that make you feel, Allison?
It’s OK, Allison. Not everyone wants to rule the world.
BLOCKBUSTER ANNOUNCEMENT: In the ring, Mercer interviews booker Ken Mantell regarding the NWA American tag team titles. Mantell declares that the American titles will be at stake at the supershow on 5/5, but Jim Cornette will be “barred from ringside.”
An incredulous Cornette provided his immediate reaction:
Angrily, Cornette calls this whole situation “stupid” and threatens legal action from his mother’s lawyers. In an immediate twist, the Fantastics inform Cornette although he can be at ringside, Little John will be in their corner to counteract him. Cornette questions them about “the little guy,” so Bobby Fulton introduces Little John who is approximately 7’7” tall.
For those unaware, Little John was portrayed by John Elmo Harris and also known as Silo Sam. His most notable role was in the movie Pee Wee’s Big Adventure as he played Andy.
Needless to say, but Cornette was TERRIFIED to sit next to Little John come the supershow on 5/5.
Prior to the next match, Marc Lowrance interviews the Freebirds next to one of Guy Laney’s Lincoln Continentals. Never at a loss for words, Michael Hayes is so hyped to win $100,000 and “the car” that he feels that having the second-best team in Texas (Von Erichs) on his team is worth it. An overanxious Roberts is so stoked about the vehicle that he wants to drive it RIGHT NOW. Without hesitation, Hayes stops him probably due to Roberts’ current BAC.
Match 2: The Fabulous Freebirds (w/ Buddy Roberts) versus Thor & Ed Thomas
- Upon extensive research, I have NO CLUE who Ed Thomas is, but he represents the University of Oklahoma.
- Hayes grabbed the microphone and encouraged the Dallas faithful to give him a “hell yeah.” So THAT’S where Stone Cold Steve Austin snatched it.
- As Hayes thrilled the female contingent of the Dallas faithful with his trusted moonwalk, Thor showed off his raw power by shoving him across the ring.
- The Dallas faithful chanted “go Mike, go” at Hayes who summarily shoved Thor down to the mat.
- When Hayes unloaded a back elbow to him, he HAMMERED Thor, and Lake Dallas flooded.
- Gordy tagged in and slammed Thor. In the meantime, the ground forcibly shook.
- After Hayes tagged in, he mounted the second turnbuckle and lowered the boom on Thor.
- Speaking of Thor, he nailed an unsuspecting Gordy.
- That didn’t bode well for Thor because Gordy immediately CLOBBERED him. Also, lightning struck across the North Texas skies.
- While Gordy tossed Thor to the floor, Roberts rammed Thor face-first into the timekeeper’s table.
- Hayes then made Thor HIT THE POLE and followed with a swinging neckbreaker.
- As Hayes landed a fist drop, he got 2.
- Gordy tagged in and dropkicked Thor for another 2.
- When the Dallas faithful chanted “we want the spike,” Thor slammed Gordy but missed an elbow drop.
- Gordy rebounded with a sleeper and tagged in Hayes.
- After Thor distracted referee Rick Hazzard, Thomas gave Hayes the business in the heel corner. How dastardly!
- Hayes fought his way out of danger and tagged in Gordy.
- While the Freebirds double-clotheslined him, Gordy applied the Asiatic spike to Thor.
- The Freebirds won in 10:25.
Summary: Welcome to pro wrestling, Thor. The Earth will never be the same.
Match 3 (non-title): NWA Texas champion Gino Hernandez (w/ “Gentleman” Chris Adams) versus Kevin Von Erich
- Adams, in his best effort to be a pest, distracted Kevin so that Gino could take advantage. How dastardly!
- Unfortunately for Gino, he missed a dropkick.
- Referee Bronko Lubich immediately ejected Adams from ringside due to excessive disruption.
- When Kevin gave Gino a cross corner whip, he followed with a knee to the midsection.
- He then unloaded an elbow smash and a splash for 2.
- As the Dallas faithful chanted “go, Kevin, go,” Gino gave their hero a cross corner whip.
- He then charged but came up empty.
- After Kevin mounted the top turnbuckle, he launched a flying elbow smash.
- Kevin attempted an Iron claw, but Gino blocked it.
- While Gino delivered a back elbow, Kevin reversed a cross corner whip.
- Gino then leaped to the second turnbuckle but WHIFFED on a cross body block.
- When Kevin leaped to the top turnbuckle, he unleashed his own cross body block.
- Kevin won in 8:57.
Summary: Kevin proved that he currently was the best wrestler in WCCW. By defeating the Texas champion, Kevin looks extremely strong going into his upcoming challenge against Ric Flair.
After the match, Gino tries to regain his heat, walks into an Iron claw, but barely escapes under the bottom rope.
Conclusion: Kevin continues his strong path to the World title match on 5/5. Meanwhile, the Freebirds have a ball at Kevin Wacholz’s expense. Lastly, Gang appears to be on a path of destruction. Can Kerry put a stop to this menace at the supershow? Mr. Vernon, how many more Saturdays am I stuck here?
Well, I’ll work the night shift so that will mean more reflections for my RSG-ites.
Next week, Adams will square off against Kerry.
TV Rating: NONE
Stay tuned for WCCW 04-27-85!
Comments? Suggestions? Send them to me at [email protected] and follow me on Twitter (@rockstargary202). Also, please check out all of my reflections at rockstargary.com including Herb Abrams’ UWF!