Impact, Indies, and Insanity: June 17, 2021
By Andy PG on 17th June 2021
Yeah, I’m gonna give Gorilla and Bobby a break. Besides, Heenan’s probably about to make a reckless financial decision anyway.
Tonight on IMPACT: Daivari vs Jake Something on the pre-show, TJP against Black Taurus, Tenille Dashwood takes on Rachael Ellering, Josh Alexander faces Madman Fulton in non-title action, two legends square off as Satoshi Kojima meets Rhino, Steve Maclin debuts, and the chaos surrounding the Slammiversary main event will be discussed. (That chaos? Sami Callihan was named #1 contender by Scott D’Amore, then fired by Don Callis.)
After the jump, some indies highlights:
Here’s your look at the top independent shows this weekend!
- Ohio Wrestling Alliance is presenting Good Trouble 2 (Friday, 7PMET, IWTV). AC Mack battles Ring of Honor’s Shane Taylor in the main event, while Taylor’s SOS cohorts go against the Mane Event — this being the Davis/Jones combo, not the Miles/Lyon combo (though if you watch AEW Dark, you know both). Also, two DC folk face off as Ashton Starr battles Jordan Blade.
- AIW is back in action with Major Announcement (Friday, 7:30PMET, IWTV — don’t worry, both events will stream simultaneously). The big main event is an 8-man tag as Cheech, Colin Delaney, Josh Bishop, and Wes Barkley take on Swoggle, Smart Mark Sterling, Curt Hawkins, and Zack Ryder. See, it’s a Major announcement for the main event!
- PPW will be giving us Reasonable Doubt (Friday, 9:05PMET, IWTV). Myron Reed and Suge D are set to square off in the main event, but the Heavy Hitters title is on the line second from the top as Hoodfoot defends against Billy Dixon, who may win the Internet for most creative use of OnlyFans in wrestling.
- Unsanctioned Pro is running Show 12: If You Know, You Know (Friday, 11:10PMET, IWTV). Here’s what I know: that feature bout of Big Beef Garvin against Casanova Valentine is gonna be a fun one. Also, DC MMA-hybrid product YOYA is on the undercard.
- Freelance Underground goes Back to Church Street (Saturday, 8PMET, IWTV). Not much has been announced, but we know the big gold is on the line as G.P.A. takes on Calvin Tankman. Plus, AEW Dark standout JJ Garrett will be in action.
- We also present the second annual Black Wrestlers Matter show (Saturday aka Juneteenth, 8PMET, iPPV). Willow Nightingale, Tre LaMar, Suge D, Devon Monroe, and more of the best wrestlers of color will be coming together to celebrate how much diversity matters in our crazy little sport.
- Meanwhile, GCW is hosting an outlaw mudshow… yes, they’re calling it Outlaw Mudshow (Saturday, 9PMET, FITE). Live from Wyoming of all places, the main event sees Nick Gage and Mance Warner in a Bunkhouse Brawl, while longtime IWTV champ WARHORSE faces the incomparable EFFY. Plus, everybody here comes 2 Cold Scorpio to take on ROH’s Chris Dickinson!
- The weekend concludes with Beyond’s women’s promotion WWR+ giving us To Wrestle, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth (Sunday, 5PMET, IWTV). Among those taking part are As Seen On AEW Dark performers Ashley D’Amboise, Megan Bayne, and Willow Nightingale, while Beyond mainstay Davienne takes on DC’s top female wrestler Trish Adora.
Your feature bout comes to us from Limitless Wrestling in Maine. Becca (the formerly Basic One) takes on Paris Van Dale in a match where anything goes… so long as it involves scrunchies. The thumbnail should give you an idea of the size of the loophole in that statement. In other words, this is so indie I have to love it. It’s not a GOOD match, but the heck with it.
Bring the insanity!